Today I went to the dentist (groan). On the plus side, it was one of the nicer dentistry experiences I have had. Partly because I knew most of the staff already (from treating them at my work)! It was weird to be the one in the chair... so to speak. They have therapy dogs at their work too, so that was nice!
All dentists should have TV's above the dental chairs. It was great! Instead of looking at a giant face with weird goggles staring at you and sharp metal objects diving in and out towards you, you can watch the home improvement channel (or whatever show features remodeling, or maybe building houses)? That's what I was watching while my teeth were being examined... the only thing I remember is that these people had a bar/countertop that was worth $14,000!!! A COUNTERTOP. Seriously?
Also.... because my new dentist has a TV above the chair, that means she can use her camera to show you exactly what is going on in your mouth. Which is kind of cool, but also kind of grossly weird. In general I'm ok with all the Dr stuff, the poking, prodding, the good, the bad, and the ugly.... but mouths are weird (even when it's my own)! Treating for TMJ is hard because even in PT you have to glove up and stick your fingers in their mouth and hope and pray they don't bite you or gag. Basically, I didn't enjoy seeing my teeth close up on the TV screen above my head!!!
I have to say I do enjoy dentists who talk to you, but then take their prodding hands and their entire garage full of tools out of your mouth so you can talk to them. I take that opportunity to talk a lot and give my jaw a break!! I think my dentist was doing it purposefully so I wouldn't hurt myself, but probably so that we wouldn't torture her at PT tomorrow ;)
Today my dentist told me that I still have two baby teeth! Let me tell you, that is a very strange realization. You think you are all grown up, with a grown up job, in a grown up apartment, living a grown up life... and then BAM! out of nowhere... Baby Teeth!!! The good news is they are hanging in tight for dear life (and I think this is very good as I don't think there are adult teeth below them)! Why aren't your real teeth (not fake teeth like baby teeth) called adult teeth? Anyways.... i still have two baby teeth, tell the tooth fairy not to quit yet!
To celebrate my baby teeth (ok, not really, but it sounds nice) I made a fancy dinner tonight! As in I spiced up some basic stir fry by making my own orange/hoisin/soy sauce with fresh ginger and garlic. It turned out quite delicious!!
That's about all the excitement of my day... stay tuned this week for more updates on the wit and wisdom of my patients.

No comments:
Post a Comment